So, you may be asking, what is this engraving thing?

The way it is referred to here, engraving means prints, prints made from metal dies and plates. The prints made for my clients are usually used for social correspondence, commonly called stationery. These dies and plates will have had designs cut into them by an artisan called an engraver, using a tool called a graver (or burin). Sometimes, acid is used to make or help the cut. To make a print, ink is applied to the cuts, then the surface of the plate is wiped clean, great pressure is then applied to the plate and the paper (approximately 2 tons per square inch), with a “print” as the resulting product.

For more information about engraving, go here. To order the book, here.

If you are interested in commissioning a new die or some bespoke hand engraved social stationery, go here.